How to choose the right hashtag for your brand?
The Simple sign # can make such a difference and impact for your brand on Social Media, therefore you should choose it carefully and wisely. So how do you do that and choose “the perfect hashtag”? and How can you promote it and what can you do with the outcomes?
But first, what is hashtag? When I tried to explain it to my mom, I realised that I need to make it related to her world-“putting things in the right place”, so when you use hashtag on tweet or on Instagram photo it means that you place your content in specific virtual folder. For example if I took a photo of my dog Izo, and then add the #Shihtzu the photo will be added to virtual library with many other shihtzus from all over the world. In a more formal way, Hashtag is a way for people to search for content that has a common topic.
So why do brands need to have their own hashtags? Besdies the fact that everyone speaks Hashtags these day, If you are a brand and you want to encourage your costumers to generate content on social media that is related to your brand and also to be able to easily manage and monitor it, # will help you with that.
And why is it so important for brand to choose the right hashtag? Simply because you don’t want to be part of brands that Failed to use hashtag.
I would say that unless you are Nike (#JustDoIt) or MacDonald’s (#ImLovinIt) and you have millions to spend on marketing and branding:
- Choose hashtag that includes the name of your company in it. However, make sure it’s also neutral; don’t force people to say good things about you with the hashtag because it can cause the opposite- so no #ILoveCK for example. Check the hashtag you’ve chosen in all platforms.
- Check how the # is being perceived by colleagues, friends and family (that are your target market).
- Make sure that it doesn’t’ exists and if it does with high volume and most mentions are not for your brand, find different hashtag. Make sure that there are no accounts with the same name of the hashtag.
After you chose the perfect hashtag for your brand it’s time to start promoting it.
- Encourage your customers to use your hashtag and generate content for you which will help your marketing and sales.
- Make sure to include your new hashtag in all your communications- website, newsletter, blog, offline materials (printed ads, flyers, brochures, billboard, merchandise etc), social media accounts and even on your email signature.
- Create landing page that explains what’s your new hashtag and what are you expecting to see under it.
- If you can create a video that talks about the # it will help too (run YouTube advert).
- Run competition to launch it or give weekly/monthly incentives to your costumers to promote it.
So now- what do you do with all the content that was created for you-
- You can use it for social media- If it’s on twitter, respond to anyone who mentioned your hashtag. If someone wrote something good about you, retweet it. If it’s on Instagram, you can repost the photo and long as you mention the owner of the photo handle on the post (credit credit credit!!!). If it’s on Facebook (most like you won’t find it because of privacy settings), you can share the content on your page. Take in mind that if you want to take content from one platform to the other, you need to ask permission from the owner of the original photos.
- You can use it for your newsletter- make sure you get permission from the owner of the content to do that
- You can use widget on your website that will highlight all this content for future visitors.
- Content to use for sales
- Content to share on social media
- Content to share on newsletter
- Content to print on brochures
- Content to use in videos
- Content to use in presentation (internal/ external)
I hope that with all these tips and guidelines you’ll do the right decisions and choices as part of your social media strategy. if you have comments, questions or request for clarification, feel free to contact me.