10 reasons why Instagram has disappointed me
Instagram has been growing and changing rapidly since it was launched and just like most start-ups it became a non friendly monster. Here are 10 reasons why Instagram disappointed me
I’ve been using Instagram from it first months, I’ve seen it growing and I grew with it as well, however the social media platform I fell in love with (and became obsessed with) is not the same. So I’m going to try and explain why Instagram disappointed me.
- Customer care- if you have any specific question related to your account, especially if it was being hacked you will find it very hard to get someone from Instagram to help you get your account back.
- Errors and bugs and blocking- if you didn’t experience bugs, errors or your account being blocked you are very lucky. It takes just one (too) quick comment to get yourself blocked and it doesn’t matter that you were doing it on your friends photo. I understand that they are doing it to prevent robots, but we all know that it doesn’t really works, right?
- Spam and Robots- so yeah, spam, fake and robot accounts are massive on Instagram. You just need to use the wrong hashtag and you will get “spam attack”.
- Content- When I joined it everything was about beautiful photography as well as some day to day images and the accounts with beautiful images were very successful. These days if you want to get lots of followers you can do it easily by showing your abs or just consistently post a very pretty face.
- Celebrities- Well, just like any other social media platform, Instagram became also the home of celebrities. I must admit that many of them discovered the potential fairly late.
- Explore page (aka “Popular page”) and Instagram’s picks- this used to be a featured that helped promoting accounts but they decided to change it.
- Links- if you want to share a link on Instagram to something you wrote or uploaded you can only do it on your biography otherwise the link wont be clickable on your post.
- Impressions/ reach– just like Facebook, Instagram is testing and updating the algorithm which basically cause drop in the engagement in all accounts on Instagram. you won’t always see your all friends posts.
- Engagement– if 4 years ago, people cared, engaged, stopped on every post of their friends and left comments, these days people are tired to even do that.
- Hashtags– This was a tool to explore good images, galleries and topics that interests one, now it became big library of spam and unrelated images and because of many bugs on Instagram, many times the hashtags don’t work.
Just to clarify that I’m grateful for everything I achieved by using Instagram– from winning photo competitions and flying to an amazing Island in Australia or to Luxury retreat in Los Angeles and of course the welcoming resort in Turkey, however I wished they could keep some of their initial vision and spirit otherwise, as I suspect it will stop increasing and basically go on a “stable mode” just like Facebook is now because just like Instagram disappointed me it will (and is) disappointing others.